In this episode, I take a tour of a Titan II intercontinental ballistic missile silo located near Vilonia, Arkansas and then spend the night inside it with my dogs. About 54 of these missiles were deployed during the Cold War, and each of them carried a 9 megaton nuclear warhead. At least, I’ll be safe from nuclear war on this particular night! We were very grateful for the tour from G.T. Hill.
Special thanks to the Outrider Foundation, the Jubitz Family Foundation, and the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies for providing funding support.
1. Titan missile silo diagram – https://titanmissilemuseum.org/
2. Titan II missile in a silo – DoD or DOE – public domain as work of U.S. federal government
3. Titan II launch – United States Air Force
4. Map of the 308th Missile Wing – Bwmoll3
5. Damascus crater – Titan II Missile Museum facebook page