In this episode, I visit Everglades National Park near Homestead, Florida to tour a former Nike Hercules missile system site. From 1962 until 1979, nuclear-armed missiles were stationed in the middle of this breathtaking national park. These surface-to-air missiles were intended for air defense purposes and designed to protect the Miami-Homestead area from a Soviet bomber attack.
Special thanks to the Outrider Foundation, the Jubitz Family Foundation, and the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies for providing funding support.
Image / Video Credits:
1. Egret video (pexels.com) – The4KTravelChannel Travel
2. Alligator image (pexels.com) – Rene Ferrer
3. Alligator video (pexels.com) – MIA Alaska TV
4. Everglades image (pexels.com) – Ray Bilcliff – https://www.raybilcliff.uk/
5. Panorama image – By Pedro Sostre – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0